Monday, November 9, 2009

GOING APE! (1981)

The owner of a popular circus dies. He leaves his prized orangutans (three of them) to his adult son, Tony Danza. He also leaves $5 million with the stipulation that if any of the three orangutans die then the money goes to a local evil zoological society. Naturally, the evil zoological society hires some bumbling assassins to murder one of the apes. All kinds of wacky hijinks ensue like people falling off a building into a large fountain, car chases and a food fight.

If you’re already familiar with early 1980’s comedies, then you probably have a pretty good idea what you’re gonna get with a (family?) movie called GOING APE! Zero nudity, cheap laughs, average acting, dumb as hell story, moderate pace. Overall, the entire thing is just kinda blah. I found my handsome brain wandering a lot. Also, I really disliked the scene with the younger orangutan tied to a log and going towards a large saw blade. I know that it’s acting, but still, this is a comedy and the image of a baby going towards a saw upset me.

Worth watching, I guess, if you’re interested in earlier stuff by Danny DeVito or Jessica Walter, but I just found it forgettable. I did enjoy the vintage Los Angeles scenery and the multiple familiar faces in supporting roles including Al Leong, Ted White, Frank Sivero, and Art Metrano.