Monday, July 12, 2010

20TH CENTURY BOYS 1: BEGINNING OF THE END (2008)

Hmmm. Well, based on that wacky font and crazy looking guy on the DVD cover and knowing that this was based on a manga I was expecting this to be some exciting over the top shit, instead it was pretty slow with a shitload of talking. Maybe Part 2 (if I ever dig up the desire to watch it) will be better.

Kenji works at a convenience store and leads a pretty empty life until he and a few of his childhood friends start to notice that the bad terrorist shit that's happening recently around the world is exactly like a "Book of Prophecy" that they wrote when they were in elementary school. The police are in league with the cult that's carrying out the attacks so it's up to them to save the world. That's an awesome idea for a movie, but I really disliked the overly complicated way the story is told. Also the entire thing looked low budget like a made-for-TV movie.

Worth watching, I guess, but it disappointed me and really doubt I'll ever care enough to watch the next two installments.

There was one great scene: the finger snap scene. I have absolutely zero idea what was going on, but it was fucking fantastic! Reminded me of some of the best moments of David Lynch.

Part 2 - 20th Century Boys 2: The Last Hope (2009)
Part 3 - 20th Century Boys 3: Redemption (2009)